Residence Permit

RWTH students need to extend their residence permit at the Foreigner’s Office branch at the SuperC. For this you need to book an appointment using the Foreigner’s Office’ booking system.

It is recommended that you start booking an appointment about 3 Months before your residence permit expires.

Make sure to bring all required documents with you to the appointment. You can find more information on the Foreigner’s Office’ website.

Application Form (Antragsformular)

Passport (Pass)

Biometric Photo (Biometrisches Bild)

Study Certificate (Studienbescheinigung)

Grade Transcript (Notenspiegel)

Health Insurance Certificate (Versichertenkarte oder Mitgliedsbescheinigung)

100 € in Cash or EC payment (100€ in Bar oder EC-Karten Zahlung)

If your residence permit is about to expire/ has already expired, contact the information desk at the SuperC and bring all the required documents for an extension with you.

The International Office has stated: “Please be aware that if you have changed residence within Germany and were previously registered in a different German city before moving to Aachen, that the main branch of the Immigration Office next to the central train station is responsible for the first issue/extension of your residence permit in Aachen.”

Your student visa allows you to work for 120 full days or 240 half days every calendar year.

Working as a student assistant or doing a compulsory internship for your course of study, does not count towards your 120 day limit.

(In case of exceeding the limit, the Foreigner’s Office has to be informed.)

After applying for (the extension) of your residence permit, and receiving a letter from the Foreigner’s Office (this may take up to 6 weeks), you have to book an appointment using the Foreigner’s Office’ booking system, using the option “Abholung”.

The collection is at the Foreigner’s Office branch at Hackländerstraße 1 on the 3rd floor.

If you stay outside of Germany for a period longer than 6 months, your residence permit automatically expires.

Exceptions can only be made after a request to the Immigration Office. Depending on their assessment of your situation, they may allow you to go abroad for a longer period of time.

More information can be found in Section 51 (2) of the Residence Act of the Residence Act.